Thursday, May 8, 2008

From the short story, "Kinzua Gums"


Excerpt from the fishing short story: “Kinzua Gums”
by:

Joseph Manduke



So we headed out from Doylestown in the leaky mustang on a mission of pure exploration. My fishing pal and high school buddy Joe riding shotgun. I had installed a tape player in my pony and we had one tape. It was an early Beatles tape, and as I write these words I can still hear odes to the Norwegian woods and the familiar voices of Paul and John.

My thrill was to explore extreme northwestern Pennsylvania. The map claimed big fish in wild sounding places like Kinzua, The Allegheny River, and the Clarion River. Wide areas were delineated as native brook trout country, and home of the Pike and Muskellunge, their fierce cousins up to 4 feet long, and both bristling with teeth.
When dad was alive, the annual trek to the Yellow Breeches south of Carlisle was our big trip. That and a summer trip to Bradford County (Wyalusing) on the North Branch of the Susquehanna River. All year, months before these trips, I would clean and organize tackle, study the maps, dream of trout at the Breeches or sultry summer evenings along the then wild Susquehanna with a stringer of walleyes and smallmouth, to be carefully cleaned and cooked by my mother. Either Breeches trout or Susquehanna fish were a sacred meal.

On our summer trips in high school, the few we took, or the many I took alone, I slept behind summer quiet schools on the bus loading platforms, sleeping bag on still warm summer concrete. I caught and ate fish, and begged and borrowed for gas money.

In my fishing-dream- heart I studied and memorized the special map dad brought home years before. Pennsylvania’s route 6 traverses the most Northern part of the state from the New York state line near Port Jervis, all the way to odd sounding places named Kane, Warren, Corry, Westline…or Tionesta. Images on the map showed trout and toothy pike, tiny towns were I imagined Indians still netted fish and carried babies on their backs.

My fishing friend and fellow high school junior Joe and I were now on the road. Joe was a big athletic blonde kid who the girls liked. In fact I was secretly in love with his cheerleader girl and my neighbour Leslie. I think she thought of me as a combination motor head and nerd.

I had just started to get serious with Carol that summer of 1973. Joe simply said, “I don’t want to hear about that chick on this trip, we are fishing.” I had already been ridiculed for taking Carol to a dance.

Our destination, revealed by the sacred fishing map was the Allegheny reservoir. It was to be by way of route 6, that magical path I had only dreamed about. Real rugged trout country. As the Beatles groaned, we finally made it to Renovo on route 120. A dark nearly abandoned railroad town, where people were playing baseball in the main street at 3 AM. It was an odd scene. Out of bravado we drove up over the top of our world on route 144. I hadn’t known the state was this remote, wild. Finally we arrived at route 6 and went west.

The parking area by the reservoir and Kinzua dam is a wild place. They had flooded the corn planter Indian reservation to make the lake, and it made me feel sad. The loud spillway and leaking gas from the mustang’s rusty gas tank kept us up most of the night. By sunrise, a few sleepy fishermen emerged- out of one truck a bewhiskered scrawny old man. While busy at this early hour boiling camp coffee and breakfast of fried walleyes, we asked about the fishing. We became friends with old Bill, and he told us of Kinzua fish and fisherman. He said to go back into town across the old iron river bridge and make the first right. This would take us to the deep hole on the other side of the dam. We slowly drove up the road, as it became rough, boulder strewn. I swerved to avoid a rock and the right edge gave way and there we hung precariously above the trees and the roaring Allegheny below. Joe said he noticed an old jeep parked at a shack back down the hill. We walked back and found a gray tarpaper shack with half a door, the place moonshine was made and bad things happened to out a towners.




Joe knocked on the door and appeared a wizened old man, unshaven. He looked to be 100 years old and was in fact, quite toothless. We explained our plight and he yelled to someone in the shack (we thought he was alone) a filthy little boy appeared and was instructed by the old man to “go get the rope yea big around as your pxxxr”. In only a few moments the boy appeared and the antique jeep pulled my mustang right back onto the “road”. Joe gave “Gums”, as he has been later called, a dollar and the old man jumped for joy, -kicked up his heels. I had never seen someone kick up heels before. We felt as far from home as Mars, or even Arizona.

As a 10 year old living in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, whose fishing exploits then, excited trips with dad to the Delaware Canal, river or Cooks Creek in Upper Bucks County, such places were odd and exotic as the Grand Canyon, or even the Desert and Cactus, or salmon streams in Atlantic Canada or Alaska.

So armed with my car and some gas, that old rusty stove I inherited from mom reluctantly (she still used it when the power was off), I ventured next out by myself to Huntsdale, where I had fished with dad since the spring of 1966………………


Copyright Joseph Manduke 2008 All rights reserved

1 comment:

Manduke said...

Recent email from my good friend and herein named highschool fishing buddy Joe Moltzen, of Albany, NY:

Sept 12, 2008


Glad that you reconnected and are back on the move…….once you start working again you will get your focus back. Where ever that may be….but work you must…you have to much to contribute to lay low in the Maritimes……just got back from a 4 day drift on the upper Delaware……Hancock to Narrowsburg………Lots of smallies, fallfish walleyes and a few notable trout….one 24” brown that pushed the scales to 4lbs……released, of course….breeders don’tcha know….haven’t lost the touch…One notable change on the Delaware is the re-introduction of the bald eagle…. must have seen at least 50 on the trip. They are now permanent residents that seem to enjoy their new found home….shad were skimming the surface as they completed their annual dance and the eagles dined at their leisure on these oblivious hosts….. water seemed a bit low compared to the many trips I’ve taken in the past….scraped bottom often in my drift boat…..in years gone by I would drift this water alone in my dad’s john boat rarely seeing anyone….Now that it has been discovered by trout unlimited and that ilk it is replete with fly fishers of ever configuration imaginable….Lots of gear lots of glitz but from what I could see no fish…..love to pass one of these guys with a fish on my line….doesn’t get much better that that…my drift boat is far superior in it’s style and fish-ability then my dad’s old aluminum Jon boat but does not have the ability to re- capture the sheer joy of a young man free from life’s entanglements fishing his way down river. Back in the mid 80’s I would drift often and never see another fishermen….The rainbows were everywhere and to catch a dozen fish in a day was not unusual….additionally the average size was 15-21 inches. Now understand that these fish were born in the tributaries and entered the Delaware to fatten up on the plethora of dining opportunities…they were shaped like footballs and were explosive out of the gate and spent more time out of the water when hooked the in. Spoke to a few locals this trip and they informed me that the tributaries were scoured by back to back years of floods and the spawning grounds for these wonderful fish were ravaged hence the numbers have plummeted. One year I floated from Hancock to New hope….. 6 days of non stop catching…..Well those days have been replaced with my occasional indulgence of a float trip now and then…. a walk along the keyserkill or catskill creek for natives and the yearly trip out west to Alaska or Oregon for salmon and steelhead. When you get back to work and are back in the black we will have to fish for bookies up in the Maritimes….I hear that the fishing can be good for sea run fish but that you have to have a guide to fish most of the rivers…..Say it ain’t so……oh Canada………wherever your next job is please do me a favor and make it in a place where the fishing is good….. ……………ciao for now




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: joe manduke [mailto:manduke1956@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2008 6:07 PM
To: joe.moltzen@mildred-elley.edu
Subject: PEI



Joe,

Just a note to bring you up to date. I just got home from PA-Joey graduated high school and I fianlly took him on the trip I planned last year. It was shorter and I couldn't go all the places you and I went, as money was super tight. But we fished the Susquehanna at Wyalusing-it was very hot, the swimming was better than the fishing.

We camped right there at homet's ferry. Then we took the plunge and drove to Westline in the old truck-we caugt some wildies at Thundershower run and I cooked them with bacon and taters. Joey loved it.

We camped right there 2 days, then got rained soaked. We headed back and finished at the Juniata near Mexico . That is a nice spot.
Spent our last night together at the Econolodge in Mifflintown. We did a lot of talking.

Joey had a second trip planned with his school pals, so I came back here early. It was very emotional for us all-my daughter was quirte upset and I know my time away from them may be ending.

On the job front, I am in process on two pretty good environmenatal jobs-one here, in Halifax, and one in Vancouver and later to open an office in Saskatoon .

If neither pans out I am going back to PA permanently in August or September. My child support just dropped, and my SSDI went up, so maybe at least I will be able to move now. Then I think a state job may be in order, as you said. But if I can land and hold a better paying job and get caught up while here, I can help with college bills and re-establish myself. I am feeling pretty positive about any of those options-took a long time didn't it? I prefer to stay on this coast, but I guess I have to go wherever. My son also wants to move in with me-so does my daughter. Rhonda has been beyond mean, but I don't think she can help it.
OH-Did you comment on my blog?lol

Take care


jm

Point Loma Lighthouse San Diego

Point Loma Lighthouse San Diego
Great place to beat the Phoenix heat!

Kids at the Jersey Shore

Kids at the Jersey Shore
Seaside Heights, New Jersey

Mount Mingus near Prescott, Arizona

Mount Mingus near Prescott, Arizona
One of the best places to be in deep thought...

Alexis fishing at Gifford Pinchot Park

Alexis fishing at Gifford Pinchot Park
One of her first fish, age 12-Near York, Pennsylvania

Tuzigoot Historic Site

Tuzigoot Historic Site
near Cottonwood, Arizona